That’s it – all done and dusted, sculptures delivered and installed awaiting the opening this coming weekend of Sculpture in the Sanctuary at SouthwellThank you for following my (erratic) progress. It has been a steep, steep learning curve. Given the chance, or a bit more time, I would do a few things slightly differently – but isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing?I would want the whole finished piece ready earlier, so that last minute problems could be ironed out. Luckily, there really wasn’t much to worry about, the metal frame went together well and all the glass fitted in. I managed NOT to drop anything and break it, that’s always a bonus.I love the wooden stand, but as a practical piece of work in a show, I would perhaps think about ways of fixing the panels. With the five panel standing structure, I would probably go for six, and make it a touch taller. I like the idea of echoing the pattern in the glass into carving into the metal base.Not a lot I can do now – and I have lots to build on. I still love both pieces, I think they work really well, and I was fortunate to catch a bit of sunshine this afternoon between the rain clouds, which really shows the panels off to great effect. Actually, when the sun came out, those glass houses got a liltle bit TOO warm…Anyway, I managed to get a few pictures before we wilted away…
Boy oh boy what a stressful weekend it has been!For once in my life, I was actually ready quite early with my glass pieces (those of you that know me personally will know that it’s quite unusual!) – so I have been waiting on the frame. Mark, bless him, went in over the weekend to get that done (otherwise I might actually have had a nervous breakdown).It’s still at the factory, as it was given it’s final coat of paint this afternoon, and I couldn’t take a picture as I only had my phone, which isn’t very clever in low light, but I can reveal it’s a rather lush shade of green.Meanwhile I made some extra panels as a back up, none-coloured, in case any of the enamel firings went wrong. As you know, I liked them clear, so I decided to make a second piece with three clear panels, and using the skills of Ian of Leafbone in the next studio/shed to ours, to make me a beautiful wooden stand to display them in.
Here’s the result:
Triple Glass Panel in Wooden Stand
I think it looks rather special, and hopefully will be able to capture it in position somewhere at the Sanctuary tomorrow.
So, it’s been a few days since I posted – mainly because there wasn’t a lot to show since the first clear panel came out of the kiln. Of course, I could have rambled, or waffled, or downright confused you about some of the ideas going through my head.Having seen that first panel come out, I really did like it clear. But I kept coming back to thinking it might look a bit, well bland, if I don’t add something. I decided to carry on firing clear panels anyway, make sure I have those first.Meanwhile, I did a couple of Photoshop experiments to try and get some idea of what it might look like muli-coloured vs single coloured vs plain. In a mock-up, my original idea of colours shading from one to another, like a rainbow (but not necessarily in rainbow order!) looked, well rubbish! I much preferred one plain colour, blue or red perhaps?I decided I was going to go with the red, to contrast with the green of the trees that will still be in the glass house. Frame in perhaps a red oxide. Yay, Dawn has made some decisions (if you know me, you’ll know that isn’t always my strong point!)So, all fired up, feeling smug, I went to the studio the following day. Earlier the previous day when I’d done my mock-ups, I’d already ordered a selection of bright colours, of course they arrived, and OOOOH they’re lovely!! I simply *had* to try them out. (Luckily) I only had small pieces of glass to try them out on, so I was restricted to a small sample of greens, one of blues, one of reds and a yellow on white base. I figured it was actually a very good idea to test fire them any way.When I got the samples back out the following day there was a bit of an uh-oh moment. Red looked great, but the moment I casually mentioned to a studio colleague that it looked a bit like blood, that was it! And actually, we both really rather liked the shades of green…. so I have been to the studio today, and green it is, first panel in the kiln, fingers crossed that the kiln fairies are kind tonight….(But whatever you do, don’t ask me what colour the frame is going to be yet!!)
First sample is out…. YAY! No bubbles, no sticking, a very slight bit of warp which we can live with.
I am quite pleased, but it has put me in a little bit of a dilemma… originally it was coloured glass, then it was plain with coloured edges… however, I really rather like the simplicity of the clear, uncoloured glass….